Friday 13 January 2012

Happy Baby Shower to me!!!!

Hello my fellow bloggers...

Again I apologise for the long in between posts...life is a little chaotic at the moment and of course spare time is rare, however its going to be a lot harder to find when Baby arrives (but oh so worth it)

So you may find me posting this at 4am in the morning..yes the middle of night wake up calls when my body clock is preparing me for night feeds when baby arrives

At the moment Im juggling finishing off my last final jobs for clients for my business, have been busy attending to assisting in finalisation and attending my own baby shower, preparing for a family party dinner for my hubbys 40th in the next week and in between all the other birthdays we have in our family in Dec - February...eeek crazy but love it but oh so worth it and Im more then likely going to add another birthday to the mix in February ..and also doing my final preparations for arrival of Baby ie car seat install, pram pick up, my labour and birth overnight bag to pack

But I really want this post to be about my baby shower...you know the event all of us women who have suffered infertility struggle to attend everyone else's baby shower when we wishing it could be ours....well my time finally arrived..

I was so god dam excited about having my own baby shower I could not help but want to have a large input into the day...I mean I have had a loong time to think about my baby shower during the years of trying to conceive and attending many others in between...

I bought an online catering voucher for finger food for 40 people last year ...for nothing specific at the time bought but decided to use it for this day...

I wanted to have baby shower 6-8 weeks prior to due date however 8 weeks was just on Christmas break so just under 7 weeks to go I held it...I had it on Sunday 8th January and over invited people as hubby and I both have big families and large circle of friends but I thought I better over invite being holidays and all not everyone will be around....

Well after 45 invites sent out (eek I know I freak every time I read that number), 36 people rsvp Yes...then on the day 32 turned up....so phew it was perfect number of people....

I themed the event...had purchased a lot of the decorations on line...I went with baby pastels favouring blues and pinks...my gorgeous best friend wanted to make my cake...and I wanted a surprise so I let her do whatever she wanted...and boy was I surprised and overwhelmed by it...from a one day cake course she excelled in cake making side of things and even included gluten free cup cakes so I could eat them...I never seen anything like this cake before...

Here are some pics..take note...the beautiful Anne Geddes baby made out of icing in the flower...lurv it!!!




Check out all the individually made decorations on cup cakes by my dear friend...


Here are the thank you chocolate moulds I made which I paid someone to place them in boxes as decorations for the table..the moulds are baby booties and baby rattle...but I made the chocolates from moulds of course!!

  
 and of course the room decorations...
and my dearest mother helped in organising games for the day...we even colour themed the prizes for give aways tealight candles x 3 in blue, pink and white and body soaps in white and lemon..

we played games from babys the word (where you cant say baby or if you hear someone say it you steal other person dummy. the person with most dummies wins....I bought online these cute hard little plastic dummies on strings in blue and pink colours) , question game about how well you  know Emma, the string game where people had to try to guess how big I was by measuring via string around belly and the giving birth game...This was a crack up

The giving birth game:- I had name tags for everyone and had 3 variety of pictures on tags ie dummy, nappy and rattles so we could easily group people for this giving birth game into teams...it was race between teams to blow up a balloon,,shove it up your shirt one person at a time in team then when all are pregnant..all had to try to pop balloon and first team to pop all balloons wins...it was soo funny!!

All my beautiful family, mum, sisters and sister in law, mother in law helped with dessert by making something as catering voucher was only for hot food...dessert was a hit too with everyone (wont bore you with the pics) except for these exceptional chocolate dipped strawberries ... Note Baby G stands for first initial of our surname...its not G for Girl lol...


and about the presents...well whoah...Baby G was definately spoilt...only a couple of double ups but plenty of bond suits and singlets for baby as well, muslin wraps, washers, toys, books, baby care and some special crystals to help with birth and labour etc



and to not forget the box full of washed second hand clothes from my sister who is trying to conceive her second child (her first is nearly 10) but she detached from a lot of the clothes and has given them to me...that really made my day...I know it would have been hard for her and to give them to me...meant so much

so overall my baby shower was the most amazing and wonderful experience...to have all the people who care to attend in celebrating this event ...especially when Im one of the last to have a baby...

It took me 2 days to recover afterwards but I loved every minute of it...I did do a short speech during cake cutting...I was going to prepare for it but hubby said dont worry.... I wish I did because I got a little nervous when I got up there even though I love talking... as obviously there is a huge emotion behind this pregnancy...I did hold my speech together until my mum chose the most perfect words with out revealing to everyone in the room our difficult journey in detail.."This is a special pregnancy for Emma and Im so proud of her...she will make a beautiful mum"..and I burst into tears and just hugged her...

My baby shower was like my kitchen tea/wedding day revisited ...lots of people to mingle with but make sure you take time to soak up the moment...I did..well being fully pregnant helps as you have to sit down often lol...it was a special day with special people...and wouldnt have changed it...

and by the way I only have 6 weeks to go...

I have finished my nursery but will post pics another time...I think its time for me to go back to bed now and get some more sleep
















7 comments:

  1. Oh Em.... It sounds like you had an absolute ball!! And I love your cake it was beautiful I wouldn't want to eat it!!

    Not long to go now I can't wait!!

    Lani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh em that cake is just gorgeous. What a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures and it looks like you had a fabulous baby shower! That came is to die for! Your friend is very talented! You deserved a special day like that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emma it all looks so beautiful. I love what they did with the strawberries. It sounds like it was a wonderful day and everything went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a great day and everything you imagined :) Love the cake and the strawberries- very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a spread! You deserve this special day! BTW - I posted the book giveaway (finally). Please let some folks who might benefit know! Congrats to you Momma! :)
    ~SCS

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous baby shower... sounds amazing :)) Love that cake :) Great to hear that all is going well and looking forward to reading all your news as I catch-up xoxo

    ReplyDelete